Violin ~ Fiddle ~ Hardingfele Instruction and Performance
+1 (360) 951-7942
Fiddle or Violin?
Well, it all boils down to the ‘style’ of music played on the ‘same’ instrument!
Deb Collins is a Pacific Northwestern native with an infectious passion for bowed stringed instruments that began at a very young age and hasn’t stopped since. Her musical family background runs through her veins. While growing up, she witnessed many jam sessions and performances in her home via her father, a professional musician, instructor, and luthier. Musicians would come and go, leaving behind their legacies that encouraged her to pursue her current music industry career.
She has several years’ experience teaching Violin, Fiddle, and Hardingfele, to students of all ages and abilities, in styles that come from many various global fiddle traditions, as well as classical. She has a keen sense of knowing how to approach many different learning styles. She gained some of her understanding of teaching from her experiences while attending the School of Education at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Washington. She has experience working with families who choose alternative schooling methods.
Her unique teaching approach and one of a kind instructional method match each student’s specific learning style and goals, even if they’ve never played before. She helps students break through barriers and ‘diagnose’ issues that prevent them from moving forward with their experience.
Her network of musicians and friends in the music world is vast. Her involvement in various music-related activities has helped broaden her experience, thereby enabling her to provide useful information to enhance the learning environment.
She can work with students, whether they do or do not want to learn how to read sheet music. She has created a unique Fiddle Tablature system as a resource for those who want to learn tunes by ear. (A Book is in the making!) However, she does encourage students to spend quality, mindful practice time with the basics: Ergonomics, Technique, Scales, Etudes, Position Work, Theory, and Ear Training.
- Luthier Night
- House Concerts
- Field trips
- Lessons from other instructors
- Video Lessons
- Sound Files
- Oly Old Time Festival
- Peninsula Youth Orchestra Camp
- Oly Kids Summer Fiddle Camp
- Hardanger Fiddle Association of America (Member and Instructor)
- Washington Old Time Fiddle Association (Member and Instructor)
- String Zone: Non-Profit before and after school program for schools with no official strings program.
- Olympia High School & Mount Tahoma High School Orchestras (Member and Mentor)
- Pierce Community College: Taught several years of Celtic Fiddle Courses.
- Evergreen State College: Taught Celtic Fiddle Courses.
- Tune-A-Week: Weekly fiddle tune learning sessions designed to teach tunes by ear in the traditional manner.
- OlyQua: Adult group that meets weekly to play violin music, in parts, in an ensemble setting.
- Cricket on the Hearth: Celtic and Folk music dance, performance, and recording artist.
- Hi-Liners: Country Western music performance and recording artist.
- Straw Hat Sting Band: Folk Fusion Eclectic music performance and recording artist.
- Prímás: Hungarian style fiddle performance.
Please contact Deb for more information regarding any of the following:
In-Person private or group lessons.
Virtual private or group lessons.
Camps, Festivals, or Workshops.
Volunteer to play at assisted living homes or other community events.
For hire for session recordings, special events, or gigs.